Wednesday, February 29, 2012

While you were sleeping



Good morning!  While probably every normal person with a 15 month old child who likes to wake up extra early was sleeping last night I was searching for a solution to streaky stainless steel (and catching up on teen mom, and drinking some wine, but I digress).  Well, I think we have a winner, maybe, only time will tell.  This is the pacific northwest so I really don't know when the next time is that sun will hit some of these appliances, but in the cloudy morning light they're looking good.   

Streaky refrigerator doors are really hard to capture on film, but here is my sad attempt.  The first picture is before and the second picture is after.

All I used to remove those nasty streaks was some olive oil on a rag.  Pour a pretty liberal amount on any soft rag you have around the house, and start rubbing it in.  You might be thinking won't this leave a greasy film on the fridge?  It really does not, I have no idea how or why it works, but it does.  Now, this is not the easiest way to clean a fridge, because it is a two step process.  Straight vinegar to clean disinfect, then olive oil to remove the streaks.  But now I have appliances that I can feel good about Monkey licking (and she will).  Plus, I am meeting my goal of no unnecessary chemicals in the house, while still satisfying my perfectionist tendencies.

In the interest of full disclosure, I did not use our expensive organic olive oil to clean the fridge.  We still have some non organic here and I was not gonna waste those organic dollars on something we were not ingesting our rubbing all over our bodies.  If this ends up being the route we go for cleaning appliances I will probably continue to keep a small bottle of cheap olive oil on hand for this purpose.  Other than Monkey's tendency to lick and kiss inanimate objects, no on is going to be ingesting these cleaners, so it is one place we can save some money.

No comments:

Post a Comment